Links 15-22 March 2017
Recently on the blog:
And this week's links:
- Can Extremism Be Fought In the Classroom?
Moroccan journalist Hicham Houdaifa looks at radicalism, link to education
- Warnings of a ‘Powder Keg’ in Libya as ISIS Regroups - The New York Times
- Trump won’t allow you to use iPads or laptops on certain airlines. Here’s why. - The Washington Post
"The United States is weaponizing interdependence"
- Resurgent Syrian Rebels Surprise Damascus With New Assaults
- Warnings of a ‘Powder Keg’ in Libya as ISIS Regroups
- U.S. to ban some airline passengers from carrying larger electronics | Reuters
Trump, always finding new ways to make us miserable.
- Was Libya’s Collapse Predictable?: Survival: Vol 59, No 2
- The cocoon | Synaps
Aya Fatima Chamseddine on youth and factionalism in Lebanon
- U.N. Diplomat Behind Report Accusing Israel of Apartheid Quits - NYT
More Trumpian wars against reality.
- Saudi Arabia to restart Egypt oil shipments
Cairo-Riyadh relations tightening in anticipation of anti-Iran Trump alliance?
- Des migrants coincés entre le Maroc et l'Algérie
Algeria and Morocco blocking migrants in border zone with no food or water.
- Un jeune écrivain accusé de blasphème en Algérie - Libération
- How Egypt’s Activists Became ‘Generation Jail’
- WikiLeaks dump exposes an overweight CIA’s commercial links
"puts President Eisenhower's fears over the military-industrial complex to shame"
- Morocco's king to replace PM Benkirane amid post-election deadlock
- Saudi Arabia launches girls' council - without any girls - BBC News
- WH/OMB Releases FY2018 Budget Blueprint – @StateDept/@USAID Hit With 28% Funding Cuts « Diplopundit
- Over Half of Yemen’s Population in Food Crisis
- Les djihadistes gagnants à un contre cent dans le Sinaï | Un si Proche Orient
- Analysis: Al Qaeda groups reorganize in West Africa | FDD's Long War Journal
- La société des loisirs et la politique du bonheur (2/2) : Jeddah et son Comic Con
- Gamal: The Pub’s Child
About the bartender at the Spitfire in Alexandria, one of my all-time favorite bars.
- J. Jason Mitchell · The Libyan Coastguard · LRB
- Algeria’s New Imprint
Great portrait of the wonderful Editions Barzakh (but they aren't new, were established in 2000)
- Charting a Course Toward Cultural Decolonization | Quarterly Conversation
On the deeply influential Moroccan leftist cultural magazine Souffles